Gorman has often been approached by our community partners to tackle difficult housing challenges in existing, urban neighborhoods.
Injecting significant housing investment into a transitional neighborhood is often the key to community revitalization and neighborhood transformation. We have seen the similar results in many communities – when an older community suddenly has modern and innovative housing choices available, its economic vitality is greatly improved.
Discover a community to call home
Case Study: Union Corners – Madison, Wisconsin
The cross streets of East Washington Avenue and Milwaukee Street were once home to union soldiers as well as the French Battery & Carbon Company (aka Rayovac Battery Corporation). In 2002, after decades of serving as a manufacturing center in Madison, Rayovac announced plans to close its Madison packaging facility at Union Corners. The following year after closure of the Rayovac plant, the neighboring grocery store was also shut down, leaving a 13 acre parcel vacant on a prominent location along East Washington Avenue.
The City of Madison acquired the entire city block and performed environmental remediation. After that was complete, another developer purchased the entire site from the City of Madison, but soon thereafter faced the economic downturn in 2008 and was forced to deed the land back to the City. In early 2012, Gorman responded to a City issued Request for Proposal (RFP) and in October, 2012, was awarded an RFP for a multi-phased project at Union Corners.
Case Study: Choice Neighborhoods Initiative – Phoenix, Arizona
In July 2018, the City of Phoenix Housing Department, with Gorman & Company as its chosen lead developer, was awarded a $30 million Choice Neighborhoods Initiative (CNI) Implementation Grant from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) to improve the Edison-Eastlake Community (EEC) and transform it into a vibrant mixed-income neighborhood. EEC is located approximately one mile east of downtown Phoenix, Arizona, and is adjacent to St. Lukes Hospital.
The CNI Implementation Grant is the first ever awarded to a community in Arizona and will leverage over $185 million of additional funding to provide more than 1,000 families with new, high- quality, affordable and market-rate housing, along with significant neighborhood improvements. Gorman was competitively selected by the City of Phoenix to serve as the Housing Implementation Entity (HIE) for this grant.
Please click on the specific state to learn more.
- Arkansas - Locations in Avondale, Glendale, Mesa, Nogales, Phoenix, Tempe, and Tucson.
- Arizona - Locations in Little Rock.
- Colorado - Locations in Denver, Breckenridge, Keystone, and Vail.
- Florida - Locations coming soon!
- Georgia - Locations in Atlanta.
- Illinois - Locations in Belvidere, Moline, and Rockford.
- Indiana - Location in Gary.
- Mississippi - Location in Gulfport.
- New Mexico -
- Ohio -
- Oregon - Locations coming soon!
- Wisconsin - The birthplace of Gorman & Company, this market serves as a home base to all of our markets across the country. Locations in Baraboo, Beloit, Jefferson, La Crosse, Madison, Milwaukee, Mt. Horeb, Oregon, Pulaski, Sheboygan, Sun Prairie, and Wausau.