Gorman & Company has been preserving significant historic buildings for more than three decades. During that time Gorman & Company has become recognized as a national leader in historic preservation.
The company has been awarded many distinctions including the National Trust for Historic Preservation / HUD Secretary’s top award for Excellence in Historic Preservation. Often historic buildings, centrally-positioned in a downtown or a neighborhood, are threatened because they have outlived their original use. They often lose their prior useful purpose and become costly burdens for local communities. Gorman & Company specializes in preserving these buildings, often turning them from community liabilities to significant community assets.
Alexander Lofts in Milwaukee, WI
Total Development Cost: $13,166,819
Gorman & Company in partnership with the City of Milwaukee, renovated the the historic Hills Building into a new public library space on the first floor with market rate residential apartments above. The upper floors were renovated to create 52 apartment units, and the separate back building was renovated to create an additional 8 townhouse units, for a total of 60 units. The Hills Department Store building was originally a department store, later a hardware store, and most recently a commercial office building. The property is located within the Historic Mitchell Street district, a nine block stretch of architecturally and historically significant commercial structures locally designated by the City of Milwaukee.
Washington School in Sheboygan, WI
Total Development Cost: $9,384,016
Washington School revitalization building into 42 units of mixed-income housing. The adaptive reuse allows the otherwise vacant Washington School to become a positive addition and vibrant part of the neighborhood. Preservation of the look and feel of the school was important to the community and remained a top priority to Gorman throughout the design and construction phasing. Amenities include a fitness center, computer center, off-street parking, on-site laundry and on-site leasing office.
Please click on the specific state to learn more.
- Arkansas - Locations in Avondale, Glendale, Mesa, Nogales, Phoenix, Tempe, and Tucson.
- Arizona - Locations in Little Rock.
- Colorado - Locations in Denver, Breckenridge, Keystone, and Vail.
- Florida - Locations coming soon!
- Georgia - Locations in Atlanta.
- Illinois - Locations in Belvidere, Moline, and Rockford.
- Indiana - Location in Gary.
- Mississippi - Location in Gulfport.
- New Mexico -
- Ohio -
- Oregon - Locations coming soon!
- Wisconsin - The birthplace of Gorman & Company, this market serves as a home base to all of our markets across the country. Locations in Baraboo, Beloit, Jefferson, La Crosse, Madison, Milwaukee, Mt. Horeb, Oregon, Pulaski, Sheboygan, Sun Prairie, and Wausau.